Thursday, March 14, 2013

Unity Among Us (Part 5)

John 17:11 NIV
I will remain in the world no longer, but they are still in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name, the name you gave me, so that they may be one as we are one.

John 17:20-21 NIV
“My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me.”

I am particularly fond of these two scripture passages. Jesus showed a real and genuine concern not only for His immediate disciples but also for those who would eventually follow them as well . How did Jesus do it? He immediately went to His Father in prayer. He didn’t give a nonchalant attitude or arrogant disposition and say to his followers, “Well guys, my work is done here, you are on your own, good luck!” No, he loved them too much for that. They were too important to Him. He was leaving behind those whom he lived with, spoke with, shared intimate moments with, struggled with, broke bread with, laughed with, cried with, and so on. For three years he wrapped His entire life around them. He became one with them and they, in turn, became one with each other. Deep and mutual love created unity. Jesus knew they needed prayer for oneness.
Furthermore, Jesus intentionally prayed for their protection. They were certainly going to need it. He knew that they were about to confront an unbelieving and hostile world. He asked that they be protected by the power of God’s name or more succinctly, of who God is; His character. Jesus was given God’s character They could call on Him for help. - JSS

No comments:



Has Christianity Failed You?