Sunday, March 24, 2013

True Fasting (Part 3)

I believe this fast is what we, as Christians, are called to do today. On a personal note: growing up, my mother instilled some of this principle in me. I, in turn, tailored it in my own fasting. During Lent or on certain feast days, for example, instead of giving up a material thing like meat, candy bars, or a soda, I would help run an errand for someone or clean a part of their house. I often liked or chose this option because I didn’t want to give up food. I didn’t mind giving away my time, my energy or my treasures, but not my food! In fact, I’m still the same way today, although I don’t mind giving up a meal or two.
Last thing, it appears that God will not accept anything that stands in the way of our relationship with Him. A hypocritical fast can and will do that if we allow it. He challenges us to reach out to others, especially those who are in bondage and help bring them to Jesus Christ: the only one who can free them. John 8:36 confirms, “Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed.” So, let us institute a true fast of charity and service to others. - JSS

No comments:



Has Christianity Failed You?