Thursday, November 15, 2012

To Not Take God's Grace For Granted: A Prayer


Dear Lord,
I believe I too often take Your grace for granted. I don't seriously consider the incredible sacrifice or price that Jesus Christ paid for me. I fall into the same old lies the devil used in the Garden Of Eden. Like Eve, I'm aware of the incredible gifts that are around me, how You have blessed me abundantly and have given me the ability to have a deep, personal relationship with You on a daily basis. I can truly walk with You in the cool of the day. Yet, when I am tempted and follow that temptation into sin, it's as if I'm listening to another voice, my flesh, possibly Satan, maybe my own inner voice of rebellion. It seems to be saying, "It's ok, it's just a little sin, you deserve it, you're a good person, God will forgive you anyway..." And the litany goes on to justify my sin. The flesh is willing and the spirit is weak seems to be the norm. Paul, in Romans 6:1-4, warns us, "What shall we say then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? By no means! We are those who have died to sin, how can we live in it any longer? Or don't you know that all of us who were baptized in Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life."
Lord, I know that if I continue to persist in leading my campaign of hidden rebellion I may potentially be fully under the control of Satan. You may decide to turn me over to a reprobate mind to receive the same fate that Paul speaks of in 1 Corinthians 10:8 toward Israel. Lord, I've realized by now that you send signals or warnings prior to my falling into sin. Often times these occur before I'm faced with a temptation. Help me Lord to heed the warnings or danger signs, to recognize the patterns more that lead to sin and have the strength to overcome before it's too late. A reoccurring sin signifies a deeper problem and struggle that can no longer be faced alone: it must be conquered by the saving blood of the Lamb.
Heavenly Father, help me not to take Your grace for granted. When I'm tempted help me to tremble with fear at the possibility of falling into sin. Lord, You deserve more from me, expect more, and long for a deeper relationship between us. Sin hinders love! Thank You Heavenly Father for Your forgiveness and grace and mercy. May my disappointments be few and my love for You become greater. I ask this in Jesus' name, Amen. - JSS

No comments:



Has Christianity Failed You?