Thursday, June 20, 2013

Instructions From A Father (Part 1)

Proverbs 4:1-9 NKJV
Hear, my children, the instruction of a father,
And give attention to know understanding;
For I give you good doctrine:
Do not forsake my law.
When I was my father’s son,
Tender and the only one in the sight of my mother,
He also taught me, and said to me:
“Let your heart retain my words;
Keep my commands, and live.
Get wisdom! Get understanding!
Do not forget, nor turn away from the words of my mouth.
Do not forsake her, and she will preserve you;
Love her, and she will keep you.
Wisdom is the principal thing;
Therefore get wisdom.
And in all your getting, get understanding.
Exalt her, and she will promote you;
She will bring you honor, when you embrace her.
She will place on your head an ornament of grace;
A crown of glory she will deliver to you.”

The Psalmist is passing on to his children words and instruction that he received from his own father. His words are not hollow or lack substance. They are an amalgamation of lifetimes of experience. His instruction has been tested by the fires of adversity, doubt, fear and so on. “Get wisdom! Get understanding!”, he cries. Why? Who is the one speaking here? Most likely it is Solomon. Solomon saw so much value in wisdom that it was the sole thing he asked for from the Lord (1 Kings 3:5-12, 2 Chronicles 1:7-12). He knew he would need it to properly govern God’s people as their King. God, in turn, blessed him not only with great wisdom but also with wealth, possessions and honor like none other.

Asking our Heavenly Father for wisdom pleases Him. Applying wisdom pleases Him. Obeying his instructions and commands pleases Him. And passing on His truth to the next generation for their salvation brings pleasure to Him as well. - JSS

No comments:



Has Christianity Failed You?