Tuesday, April 16, 2013

You Are The Light Of The World (Part 2)

(Now, on to the “more on this later” part) I realize that there are some Christians who are so intense, so overpowering with their “light” that it’s too much. They tend to be too extreme and frankly very annoying at times. I don’t believe Jesus is referring to that kind of “light”. Wisdom must be applied.
Although we are instructed to be light to this world, I think the approach, by example, is thus. When I was younger my family went camping a lot and we used a Coleman lantern for light. After I filled the bottom part of the lamp with kerosene and lit the wick or in some cases, mesh, I would have to turn a knob to adjust the intensity of the light. I believe, without getting too far away from the meaning of the passage, that God wants us to be regulated by Him. This is situationally dependent, of course. Sometimes we need to give off a lot of light; possibly during those times when righteousness or justice needs to come forth. At other times, maybe only a tiny fraction of light is needed; when a person is feeling conviction or internal pain for example.
In either case some light has to be shown. It has to reflect God’s purpose and God’s  glory. So, in short, we initiate, God regulates, and His glory is cultivated.
- JSS

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

SISTER ANONYMOUS HERE!!!

I READ YOU ARE THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD PART 1 AND PART 2 EARLY THIS MORNING...JUST BEFORE SIGNING OFF GFB. THANK YOU JOE...I NEEDED THE REMINDER AND THE ENCOURAGEMENT...JESUS WORD AND YOUR HEART FOR OUR JESUS SUPPLIED BOTH!

STAY BLESSED IN OUR JESUS!

Joe Scot Schroeder said...

You're very welcome Faith! To God be all the glory and I thank Him for placing these various thoughts in my mind. May they continue to encourage, challenge and strengthen us all. May we draw closer to Him and serve our Lord more fully each day.
Faith, thanks again for your friendship. May God richly bless you and those you love. In His peace...



Has Christianity Failed You?