Monday, April 15, 2013

You Are The Light Of The World (Part 1)

Matthew 5:14-16 NKJV
“You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.”

As I was just finishing up reading the above scripture, I noticed the morning sun’s rays bursting through my front window. They nearly blinded me because they were so bright and intense. I’m thinking about that intensity, however annoying it can be at times. “You are the light of the world.” It’s an interesting, incredibly dense and suggestive phrase for me; for all of us. I am the light of the world. Do I exhibit any kind of light into/onto this darkened world? Am I even growing toward a more intense, almost blinding light that I just mentioned earlier? Should I be a blinding light? (More on this later.) The next line: “A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden.” Do I shine as bright; that equals that of a city? That’s a lot of light and one that cannot be hidden as well as be ignored. I guess what I’m trying to say is that it’s not enough to just be a small spark, a flickering match or even a gazillion lumen flashlight. It’s not enough. (Or is it at timesagain, more on this later.) I, dare I say, we, must be so luminous that we cannot be hidden, contained, ignored or pushed aside. I believe Jesus was this way. He was a revolutionary! Everywhere He went He lit up the room. He didn’t play games or do parlor tricks just to be noticed. It was who he was. His character, His presence could not be ignored. And if Christ is in us, then we also must not be hidden, unrecognizable or  ineffective toward those around us. - JSS



No comments:



Has Christianity Failed You?